Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Nerding out

Yesterday we went to Akihabara. Wow. It....was not all I expected. Maybe I'm just in a negative mood about it because I was looking for four series and didn't find much on them (Saiyuki, ROOKIES,Kyo Kara Maoh and One Piece, all still on going, all pretty popular, I believe, by the amount of stuff I've seen for those in OTHER parts of Tokyo) so I'm kind of, blah. But it was pretty intense. Although every anime store all had the same kind of stuff, and nothing different from one shop to the next so maybe that's another reason I didn't care for it? I mean, if they're going to advertise Akiba as the 'Destination for Anime Geeks', the least they could do is have different merchandise in the stores. But I digress. Jenna seemed to love it plenty, so maybe it's just my frustration coming out. Anyways. We did the Maid Cafe, like Jenna wanted. I'll let her talk about it. We wandered around, went to some famous shops. I liked those shops enough, and if I was interested in Hetalia and D. Gray Man, I suppose I'd have loved the floors of doujinshi they had devoted to please the woman. But I was looking for my favorite series. And I'm past the stage of spending money on every cute thing I see. But, this part is pretty weird. I told Jenna, "that's it. I give up! I can't find my stuff, I'm done!" when, for the 100th time, we couldn't find any One Piece stuff ( I do love me some Nico Robin and Zoro Ronoroa..) or Kyo Kara Maoh, and the very next store I went into, I found a Gwendal figurine. Of course I snatched it up!
So yeah. I bought some stuff there, but not as much as I had at Nakano, where we went on Tuesday. It's a used goods section of a mall devoted to anime and japanese media and I spent quite a bit there. We're actually planning to go back there some time before we leave Japan since they HAD the series' I liked. But yeah. Akihabara wasn't as great as I'd been led to believe but maybe I had gone there with too strict of expectations. If I hadn't been determined to find specific things, I probably would have enjoyed myself more. It was still fun, don't get me wrong. It just wasn't AS fun as I was told.

No comments:

Post a Comment